Message from Chief Rick Pippins:
Hello and welcome to the Dumas Police Department web page. I’m glad you’ve taken the time to learn more about us. The department is staffed by twenty-six (26) full-time sworn officers, and seven (7) civilian employees. These men and women are carefully selected, highly competent, and deeply committed professionals with a common goal; to meet the police service needs of Dumas citizens, businesses, and visitors effectively and efficiently.
Dumas Police Department strongly believes in a community approach to policing and problem solving. Although many beneficial partnerships have been formed to collaboratively address issues of shared concern in our city, the foundation of community policing will always be our officers reaching out to individual citizens, listening to their problems, and working with them to seek solutions. Together, we can all preserve and enhance the quality of life everyone in Dumas has come to enjoy and richly deserves.
I am proud to lead the men and women of Dumas Police Department in the rewarding and challenging work we perform without fail, twenty-four hours a day, each and every day of the year, serving our community and playing a key role in making the City of Dumas a great place to live, work, play, and raise a family.
Dumas Police Department Mission:
“Protect with Honor, Serve with Pride” - At Dumas Police Department, we are dedicated to work in partnership with our community to create and maintain an environment where the lives and property of our citizens and visitors are protected, where neighbors are assisted with resolving their problems, and quality of life is enhanced for everyone privileged to call the City of Dumas, Texas home. We are committed to our mission and will remain eternally vigilant in our service to the citizens of Dumas, Texas.
Dumas Police Department Values:
"Commitment" - As members of the Dumas Police Department, we accept responsibility for contributing to the quality of life in our community. We believe the character of our department is best reflected in the quality of service provided by each of our members.
“Service” - We will meet the challenge to provide quality service through our shared values and commitment to:
- Serve in an impartial, courteous, responsive, and effective manner
- Maintain an attitude which respects the dignity and rights of those we serve
- Facilitate open communications with the public
- Take responsibility for our actions and be willing to admit our mistakes
- Act professionally with a clear purpose and direction
- Remain enthusiastic and empathetic in our public and employee relations
- Promote community involvement and cooperation
- Always remember we are members of the community we serve
- Earn the respect, support, and trust of our community
Dumas Police Department Goals:
- Reduce crime, increase safety and security, and improve the quality of life of Dumas residents
- Build trust and collaboration between community residents, businesses, and police officers through community policing and crime prevention efforts
- Build close collaborative professional relationships with local educators to prevent juvenile crime and promote youth intervention / diversion programs
- Always seek to improve the professional capabilities of the department and individual officers by remaining on the cutting edge of best practices, training, and education